This hearty and flavorful Cheesy Chicken Orzo Skillet is filled with zesty chicken breast, tender spinach and orzo in a garlic infused pasta sauce. Infused with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, this meal is made in JUST 1 DISH and comes together in less than 30 minutes.This is perfect for any night of the week!
I am all about meals that are made in one pan! They are kinda my thing… my favorite thing. I took a look at some of my most popular dishes and decide to fuse some of their best qualities: pasta, chicken, flavors, cheese, and easy clean up. Filled with fresh spinach and protein-packed chicken, this meal comes together in minutes!
What is orzo?
A lot of people are unsure how to categorize orzo. Is it rice? Is it pasta? To answer this in the most simplistic way, orzo is just rice-shaped pasta. It is most commonly made from white flour, but some brands have healthier versions. It can be used interchangeably where rice is used and most pasta recipes.
Is orzo healthier than rice?
If you are comparing a white flour orzo to white rice, then the answer is no. A cup of orzo has 50% more calories than a cup of white rice. If you were to compare a whole grain, wheat orzo to white rice, then you have to consider more than just the calories. The orzo would have more redeeming value at that point. Orzo is still pasta, so the carbohydrates are high! Decide on what is important in your diet, ten decide which option is better for you.
Ingredients for our Cheesy Chicken Orzo Skillet:
- Italian Seasoning
- Chicken Breast
- Parmesan Cheese
- Marinara Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese
How to make our Cheesy Chicken Orzo Skillet:
In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and coat the bottom of the pan. Place the bite-sized chicken in the skillet in a single layer. Slowly and evenly sprinkle half the Italian seasoning over top of the chicken. Cook about 4 minutes and then flip. Sprinkle the remaining seasoning over the chicken. Cook for an additional 4 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Next, add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes, until slightly tender. Pour the pasta sauce and water in and completely stir. Scrap the bottom of the skillet to really get all the flavors together. Place 2 heaping cups of raw spinach to the skillet and cook for 2-3 min or until mostly wilted.
Bring the mixture to a low boil and add in the chicken, dry orzo and stir. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, until the orzo is cooked al dente. Stir in 1 cup of each cheese.
Garnish with fresh parsley and serve! You can always top with more cheese if you desire. This meal has 8-10 servings so is perfect for leftovers!
Are you all about one pan dinners? If you are anything like me, you are! Try these recipes out below and you won’t be disappointed!
Love fresh and simple recipes??! Subscribe to our emails below and we will send them straight to your inbox!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons, Italian Seasoning
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Cups, raw spinach
- 24 ounces marinara
- 20 oz water
- 12 oz orzo
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1 cup parm
- In a skillet, over medium heat, coat the bottom of the skillet with the olive oil. Add the chicken pieces in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with half the Italian seasoning. Cook for 4 minutes. Flip and sprinkle with remaining Italian seasoning. Cook for an additional 4 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the diced onion and garlic to the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Pour the marinara sauce and water into the skillet. Bring to a soft boil.
- Top with the raw spinach and allow to wilt, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the chicken and orzo into the skillet. Cover and allow to soft boil for about 15 minutes.
- Once orzo is cooked to al dente, pour both of the cheeses in and stir. Turn off heat and remove skillet.
- Serve and garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 821mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 38g
(Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)