You are only 4 ingredients away from one of the best desserts you have ever had! This Heath Bar Trifle is chocolatey, creamy, crunchy perfection. The best part- it is VERY easy to make and looks like you have been baking all day!
A friend of mine used to always bring a signature trifle to every gathering. Each party meant a new delicious creation that we would all anxiously await! When I moved away, I knew that although I would miss her terribly, I couldn’t go without her famous desserts.
One particularly busy Saturday, I realized that I had not planned a dish to bring to a friends dinner party. I was out of time but didn’t want to just grab something store-bought, so this recipe was literally invented in the aisles of Target! As I strolled down the aisles, I stumbled across muffins from the bakery, individual pudding cups, cool whip and heath bar crumbles… I knew combining these ingredients meant success! I assembled it in the backseat of my car in the parking lot on the way to the party! When I say this is super simple to make- I am 100% serious!
Why is a trifle called a trifle?
A trifle by Oxford definition is “a cold dessert of sponge cake and fruit covered with layers of custard, jelly, and cream.” We use the term trifle loosely as a layered dessert that includes baked goods, creamy ingredients or jellies and candy or fresh fruit toppings.
Can I make this trifle far in advance?
We recommend that you don’t make a trifle too far ahead of serving due to the fact that the wet ingredients (pudding and Cool Whip) will start to soak into the muffins and create a soggy texture! It is still completely safe and delicious, but we find it is best served within a few hours of assembling.
Ingredients for our Heath Bar Trifle
- 4 large Chocolate chocolate chip muffins
- 1 box of instant chocolate pudding, prepared according to directions
- 8oz cool whip
- 8oz heath bar toffee bits
How to make our Heath Bar Trifle
First, cut muffins into 1 to 2 in chunks. Make pudding according to instructions on box. Set aside.
In a trifle dish build the layers. Start with a layer of muffin pieces.
Next, spread a generous layer of Cool Whip, using 1/2 of the container.
Repeat the same steps using the Chocolate Pudding.
Sprinkle Heath Bar crumbles to cover the pudding layer.
Repeat until trifle is full. Make sure you finish your topping with the Heath Bar crumbles as the top.
Serve immediately or cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Next time you are headed to a party and short on ideas and time, give this Heath Bar Trifle a try and you will not disappoint! You can also use tumbler sized cups and make them individually if you have a late night craving for something sweet!
Enjoy fresh and simple recipes?! Subscribe to our email list and we will send delicious recipes to your inbox every week!
- 4 Chocolate chocolate chip muffins
- 5.1 oz box instant chocolate pudding, prepared according to directions
- 8oz Cool Whip
- 8oz Heath Bar Crumbles
- Make Pudding according to package instructions.
- Slice muffins into large chunks and set aside. (about 6-8 pieces per muffin)
- Make chocolate pudding in a separate bowl according to directions on box.
- In a trifle dish, layer 1/2 muffin pieces, 1/2 of the chocolate pudding, 1/2 of the cool whip and 1/2 of the heath bar crumbles.
- Repeat with remaining half of ingredients, ending with heath bar crumbles as the top.
- Serve immediately or cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.