Check out this hearty, delicious main dish! Our Italian Chicken Gnocchi Recipe is a quick and easy dinner that comes together in less than 20 minutes! Thanks to gnocchi being shelf-stable and the chicken sausage being pre-cooked, this meal is so simple to throw together and comes together effortlessly!
Whenever I ask for input on the type of recipes my readers would like to see, the answers I get most are “quick, easy, simple, inexpensive, dinners, one pan, etc”. So I am listening! This dish is easy and comes together in no time at all. It makes a good amount to feed a family of 6! I added a healthy spin with the spinach as well. I hope you enjoy!
What is gnocchi?
A lot of people initially assume that gnocchi is pasta. It is not. This particular gnocchi, and most you will find, are made out of potatoes. People often confuse it with pasta because gnocchi can be served in the same manner of pasta. Gnocchi takes a lot less time to cook than pasta, and has a denser consistency. It can be boiled or fried. It is a great way to change up on old dish for the family!
How can I make this vegetarian?
You can easily make this recipe vegetarian if that is your preference! Simply refrain from using the apple chicken sausage. You could always add in Morning Stars Chicken Strips for protein or any tofu. Since a lot of the delicious flavor does come from the sausage, I recommend adding in a flavorful substitute or a tablespoon of Italian seasoning.
Ingredients for our Italian Chicken Gnocchi Recipe:
- Potato Gnocchi
- Parmesan Cheese
- Apple Chicken Sausage
- Heavy Cream
How to make our Italian Chicken Gnocchi Recipe:
First, cook the gnocchi according to package directions. Once cooked, drain and set aside. Return the empty pot to the stove. Next, slice the chicken sausage into bite-sized pieces. Turn the burner onto medium heat and add the chicken sausage. If you aren’t using a non-stick pan, place about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the pan first so the sausage doesn’t stick. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the meat is browning on the outside. Once cooked, set aside. Still on medium-heat, add the minced garlic and butter. Once butter is melted, add the flour and whisk together until full combined.
Next, slowly pour the cream into the flour mixture, whisking constantly as you do. Once all the cream is added to the pot, turn the heat to medium low while still whisking. Slowly add the parmesan cheese and the fresh spinach. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until spinach is slightly wilted.
Then, stir back in the chicken sausage and the gnocchi. Slowly mix and fully incorporate all the ingredients.
Once all ingredients are heated through, remove from heat and serve!
I’m all about meals that check several boxes: Easy? ✔️ Yummy? ✔️ Filling? ✔️ Inexpensive? ✔️ Easy Cleanup? ✔️ Clearly, this one checks all those boxes. A bonus is that it reheats great and does not take a lot of time to throw together. Give this one a try and let me know what you think!
Love fresh and simple recipes??! Subscribe to our emails below and we will send them straight to your inbox!
- 2 Tablespoons, salted butter
- 1 teaspoon, minced garlic
- 1 1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Bag (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- 12 ounces (4 links) Apple Chicken Sausage, diced
- 3 heaping cups fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 Cups shredded parmesan
- Cook gnocchi in a pot/skillet according to directions and set aside. Return skillet back to heat.
- Over medium heat, place diced chicken sausage in a skillet. Heat for 5-6 minutes, until sausage starts to brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add minced garlic and 2 tablespoons of butter to skillet. Heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently
- Slowly add in flour, whisking constantly. Once flour is fully incorporated, add in cream, whisking constantly. This takes about 3 minutes.
- Next, add in spinach and parmesan cheese. Mix until it starts to slightly bubble and spinach wilts, about 3 minutes
- Add back in the gnocchi and chicken sausage. Stir until completely combined and cook an additional 2 minutes, until heated though.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 545Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 1196mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 40g
(Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)