This is the perfect, one dish dinner you didn’t know you were missing. 🥘 Our One Pot Garlic Chicken and Rice is delicious and just plain ole’ comforting! Chicken thighs are coated in a flavorful seasoning, tucked into sautéed onions and garlic, and then baked to perfection with rice and chicken broth. I also love when a meal comes together in one dish, making clean-up super simple. 🙌🏼
I’m not gonna lie… I bought bone-in chicken thighs totally on accident. I wasn’t sure what to do with them once I realized it. My first thought was to grill them but I really didn’t want to spend 20-30 minutes outside by the grill in this Florida heat. I wanted to come up with something that was easy and delicious. It took a few tries to get this one just right but once I did, I knew it would be a fan-favorite. The seasoning is light but very present. The rice and chicken are super moist and soak up all the delicious flavors. This is a great dish for the entire family!
What can I make with chicken thighs?
There are a lot of great recipes to use for chicken thighs. There are great choice for baking, frying and grilling! Below are three recipes from other bloggers that we recommend:
Can I cook raw chicken with rice?
Yes! This is exactly what we do in this particular recipe. When raw chicken simmers in a stew pot, it stays moist and gives great flavor to both the broth and the rice. This is a really convenient recipe to use and make. The biggest thing to point out is being sure to thoroughly cook the chicken to an internal temperature of at least 165 F. This recipe cooks slowly and allows for all the ingredients to stay light, fluffy, and moist.
Ingredients for our One Pot Garlic Chicken and Rice:
- Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- Garlic powder
- Yellow onion
- White rice
- Chicken broth
- Ranch seasoning
How to make our One Pot Garlic Chicken and Rice:
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
In a small bowl, mix the paprika, thyme, and garlic powder. Next, place the chicken thighs in a bowl and pour the paprika mixture over top and coat thoroughly with the seasonings. Set aside.
Add 4 TBS of butter to a large, oven-safe skillet and heat to medium heat.
Once the butter is melted, add the diced onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the garlic is a nice golden brown. Be sure to stir frequently so that the garlic and butter do not burn.
Next, stir in the rice. Allow the rice to absorb the flavors of the garlic and onions by stirring for about 60 seconds.
Once that is done, place the seasoned thighs on top of the rice mixture.
Add the 2 TBS of ranch seasoning to the broth and water and stir. Last, pour the broth mixture over the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, cover, and add to preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, uncover and bake for another 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and carefully remove chicken. Give the rice a good fluff and serve! Enjoy!
If you end up with smaller chicken thighs, you can absolutely try to fit as many as you have in this dish. The four we used were larger and so this dish provided about 6 servings. There is definitely more rice than chicken which I love because it’s a perfect leftover side for tomorrow! My kids love rice so it’s always a dinner-time favorite. This specific recipe gives the rice a great, authentic chicken and spice taste that we love. Enjoy!
Love fresh and simple recipes??! Subscribe to our emails below and we will send them straight to your inbox!
- 4-6 Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- 1 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoons thyme
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 cups of white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ranch seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, mix the paprika, thyme, and garlic powder.
- Season the chicken thighs with the mixture and set aside.
- Dice onions and garlic into small pieces.
- Add 4 TBS of butter to a large, oven-safe skillet and heat to medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the diced onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the garlic is a nice golden brown. Be sure to stir frequently so that the garlic and butter don't burn.
- Next, stir in the rice. Allow the rice to absorb the flavors of the garlic and onions by stirring for about 60 seconds before adding the liquid.
- Next, place the chicken thighs on top of the rice mixture.
- Mix the broth and water together and then add the 2 TBS of ranch seasoning. Stir well.
- Last, pour the broth mixture over the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover, and add to preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, uncover and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully remove chicken dish. Give the rice a good fluff and serve! Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 880mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g
(Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)