You have stumbled upon the most deliciously divine soup of the season! This Hearty Italian Chicken Sausage Stew is made in one dish and a definite crowd pleaser. The amazing flavors of sweet Italian chicken sausage, cannellini beans, and spinach are rounded out with a crunchy topping that brings all the flavors together. You won’t want to miss out on this one!
My family doesn’t always go for soup… weird, right?! They love recipes that are thicker, like a good chili or our Instant Pot Potato Soup. I knew, that in order to please them, this would have to be more of a stew than a soup. It took a few tries to figure out the right ingredients but the final result was 100% worth all the effort. To be honest, this is probably in my top 5 of my most delicious recipes. If you are spice averse, cut the red pepper flakes amount in half, but don’t leave it out all together! It brings a warmth to the stew that is so perfect!
What are cannellini beans?
Cannellini are medium-sized white kidney beans. They are located in the bean section at your local grocery store. They are used frequently in minestrone soups. Cannellini beans are interchangeable with navy or Great Northern beans. They have a very smooth texture and a slightly nutty flavor. They accent Italian flavors wonderfully.
Is chicken sausage healthy?
In terms of sausage, chicken sausage is a healthier choice than traditional sausage. Pork sausage has anywhere from 290 to 455 calories and 23-38 grams of fat per sausage link! Turkey and chicken sausage have around 140 to 160 calories and only 7 to 10 grams of fat for the same amount. The chicken sausage we prefer and used in this recipe has only 110 calories per link, only 6 grams of fat and 13 grams of protein!
Ingredients for our Tuscan Chicken Sausage Stew:
- Chicken Sausage
- Cannelli Beans
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Chicken Broth
- Stuff Mix
How to make our Tuscan Chicken Sausage Stew:
First, dice the chicken sausage into small, round bite-sized pieces. Next, dice the onion and set both aside.
Heat 1 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet. Pour in 1 cup of dry stuffing, stirring until the crumbs are crisp and brown, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Place another 2 tablespoons of butter in the heated skillet and add 1 cup of diced onion. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently. ( Onions should be translucent.)
Turn burner heat to medium-high and add the diced sausage, leaving the onions in there with the sausage. Stir in garlic, rosemary, and red pepper. Completely mix.
Add 2 cans of undrained cannellini beans, 1/2 cup of chicken broth, and bring the pot to a simmer. Add in 3 cups of fresh spinach leaves and slowly stir to combine. Allow to cook for about 3 minutes.
Last, top with stuffing mix and grated parmesan. Serve and enjoy!
Did I mention that 1 full serving of this stew is only 300 calories? That just made this recipe a whole new winner in my book! Want it to be EVEN healthier? Leave off the crunchy topping and you can cut another 50 calories. Although, in my personal opinion, those 50 calories are worth it to make this dish as is! Pair this baby with a Fresh Walnut Salad if you are looking for more greens. I hope you love it as much as me!
Love fresh and simple recipes??! Subscribe to our emails below and we will send them straight to your inbox!
- 1 Cup dry Stove Top Chicken Stuffing
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 Cup diced onion
- 7.5 ounces Alfresco Italian Chicken Sausage
- 1 clove garlic, diced (1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon crush red pepper
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, NOT drained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups of fresh spinach
- Parmesan, for garnish (Approximately 1/2 Cup)
- Dice onion and cut chicken sausage into small, bite-sized pieces. Set both aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet (medium heat). Add 1 cup of dry stuffing, stirring until the crumbs are crisp and brown, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Place another 2 tablespoons of butter in the heated skillet and add 1 cup of diced onion. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently. ( Onions should be translucent.)
- Turn heat to medium-high and add the diced sausage to the onions. Stir in the garlic, rosemary, and red pepper flakes. Completely mix.
- Add 2 cans of undrained cannellini beans, 1/2 cup of chicken broth, and bring to a simmer.
- Add in 3 cups of spinach and slowly stir to combine. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes. Last, top with stuffing mix and parmesan.
- Serve and enjoy!
Cut the amount of red pepper in half if spice is an issue. Don't completely cut it out because it adds great flavor!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 645mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 15g
(Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)